All children are afraid to go to the dentist’s, but some are just capricious, while other people feel panic and fear when seeing those in lab coats with a dental drill in their hand. In the second case, dental treatment for children is a pain not only for the parents and the child, but also for the children’s dentist, who cannot normally do their work.
For such children doctors recommend general anesthesia, so the whole treatment procedure will go unnoticed and painless for a child.
But many parents do not trust this method of treatment, because anesthesia can be harmful to the child. Therefore, we will try to figure it out if it is true or not.
First of all, it is worthwhile to know that anesthesia is not possible in all cases. The matter is that treatment under anesthesia is a very complicated procedure that should not be offered by the dentist as a simple way, it is recommended only in certain cases:
• If a doctor sees that the treatment will take a long time. Permanent long-term visits to the dentist’s can form a strong child’s dislike for doctors, which can last for a lifetime. Under general anesthesia a dentist can do as much work as after 5 appointments, since small children are not recommended to stay there more than half an hour.
• In cases when a child is easily feeling bitter and irritated, if a doctor cannot force to follow his instructions and even make him sit still for several minutes, then treatment in a usual way is simply not possible. Anesthesia can help not only to have teeth attended quickly, but also to keep the psyche of a child safe from emotional upsets.
• Sometimes a child can not follow standard instructions, because he is too small and simply does not understand what he wants. In this case, a dentist will be able to do his job quickly and won’t hurt oral cavity of the child.
• If a child is allergic to local anesthesia.
The procedure of teeth treatment under anesthesia differs a bit from the standard one. The process is carried out in several basic stages.
1. Preparatory stage. In the play form, a child is injected with anesthesia. To do this, it is only necessary that a child breathes for a few seconds in a special mask. As a rule, parents who are nearby or a doctor tell the child that he will be a pilot or an astronaut.
2. Primary examination of the oral cavity. A dentist examines the child’s mouth and tells parents how long the treatment procedure will take, and then parents should leave the office.
3. Supply connection of necessary equipment. Next, the assistants connect a child to equipment, which will monitor overall condition and all processes during treatment. They also need to monitor devices during the procedure.
4. Teeth treatment. During treatment under anesthesia, a doctor can simultaneously solve a whole range of problems, which would have been impossible if he dealt with them under local anesthesia.
5. Anesthesia recovery. After treatment, parents go back to the office, and assistants take a child out of anesthesia. When he wakes up, there will be parents, a dentist’s office, a doctor, and at the same time he will not remember about medical intervention.
6. Rehabilitation period. After a child recovers anesthesia, they take him to the game room. A doctor should watch him for an hour, if there are no complications, then the small patient can go home.
Before starting the procedure, a child should not be fed for 6 hours and watered for 4 hours. This is considered the deadline, which is better to increase. But, unfortunately, some unscrupulous parents think that this is not a requirement, but rather a recommendation and a dense dinner cannot affect the teeth treatment negatively. However, the child under anesthesia may develop aspiration. The fact is that in a condition of anesthesia, a child cannot control breathing and especially processes in the stomach, as a result of which gastric juice can enter lungs. Therefore, a child may get a severe burn and pneumonia.
Also, before starting treatment, a child should make a general blood test, as well as a hemosyndrome test. If chronic diseases develop, a dentist must consult the appropriate doctor before starting the procedure. In addition, a dentist should ask a child’s parents if he does not have any allergies.
Parents should make sure that the clinic, in which anesthesia treatment will be taken, has a corresponding license for anesthesia high-quality drugs, suitable equipment and anesthesiologists work. Otherwise, there is a risk that the procedure will end tragically. As medical practice shows, almost all cases of negligence and medical error occur just when the doctors took the case not having the right to do so.
Therefore, it is so important to ensure that all rules and necessary requirements are met. Only in this case, a painless and safe treatment of a child is possible, which will help him in the future to visit the dentist’s office with pleasure.