Preventative dental care is what some of us do to keep our teeth in good shape. There’s a wide array of practices which help a patient prevent tooth decay, periodontal issues, dental caries, acid erosion, and various other unfortunate conditions linked to poor dental care.
Preventive dentistry comes in countless diverse forms, namely teeth cleaning and everyday brushing. In order to preserve optimum oral health, we suggest you book a visit to see what we can do for you. Below we’re going to talk about the habits which will help keep your teeth spotless, durable, and 100% white.
Encouraging Preventive and Diagnostic Dental Care
Aside from providing services, we also do our best to encourage good dental care. Here are the procedures you can do by yourself:
- Daily flossing. It might be hard for some to figure out what is preventive dental care, but it shouldn’t be hard for you to find a great place to start – flossing! What it does is help clean the narrow parts. We suggest asking our orthodontist to give a brief demonstration, so it’d be easier for you to figure out whether or not you’re doing it right. Don’t worry, it will cost you nothing!
- Daily teeth brushing. Brushing teeth and tongue is tremendously important, so do it every single day. There’s no way to say for sure, but we suggest doing it at least two-three times a day.
- Sticking to a suitable diet. If you’re getting the right amount of nutrients, your teeth will be as durable as humanly possible. You ought to avoid sugar and drink enough water every single day. Also, don’t forget about vitamins.
- Routine dentist visits. Find the closest family preventive dental care and make sure to take your loved ones with you! Even if you don’t have kids and don’t really need pediatric preventive dentistry, we still suggesting turning this into something that everyone in your family has to do at least one time a year. Our dentistry services are beneficial for the whole family.
Additional Preventive Dental Procedures
These are among the most commonly overlooked procedures:
- Avoid acid foods. Acid-heavy products that you should definitely avoid include fish, sugar, dairy, grains, sodas, turkey, and beef. This, of course, doesn’t mean that you should avoid trendy West Village restaurants like plague. The key word here is “avoiding”, not abandoning them altogether.
- Eat fresh, unprocessed foods. Heavily processed products are extremely convenient, yet this kind of convenience comes with a price. Processed foods are twice as likely to damage your teeth.
- Add mouth wash to your routine. That’s the one you won’t normally find among preventive dental services. Mouth wash really does a stellar job when it comes to discoloring prevention.
- Drink plenty of water. Self-explanatory.
- Always use a fluoride toothpaste. Even though fluoride-free toothpaste is getting pretty popular here in NY, you still need to use the tried-and-true type. It’s way more efficient when it comes to defending your teeth against deterioration.
Benefits of Preventive Dental Practice
There are simply not enough positive things to say about this. For starters, proper dental hygiene lessens the chances of you developing gum inflammation and periodontal disease, along with countless other dental problems. That, in turn, lessens the risk of consequential issues stemming from bad dental health. Among these consequential issues, there are:
- Cardiovascular diseases;
- Bone loss;
- Various types of cancers;
- Pulmonary illnesses.
Preterm birth and low birthweight might also stem from bad dental health.
On top of lessening your risk for various health difficulties and complications, exercising good dental care habits could save you a hefty sum of money. Our selection of dental services includes oral examinations, X-rays, cleaning, pit and fissure sealants, fluoride treatments, and numerous additional services. You can learn further information on our website, but keep in mind that we provide educational instructions as well – some of the dental healthcare tips were briefly discussed above.